Adding to my handy roundup of roundups, as the Irish tag has become unwieldy, here’s a selection of my dabblings in Irish music, which feature some exhilarating tracks that will brighten your days.
Ciaran Carson’s exquisite Last night’s fun has inspired several posts, including
- On tune titles: Ask my father
- A paean to the fry-up, and the music of time
- On competition—topped by the story of the three fiddlers
- More early music, with a quote from 1185 that could be contemporary
- Chinese mouth-organs and Irish flutes.
And this charming recollection, told to me at a session in an Armagh pub, has a Carsonesque lilt to it.
i got further into the swing with
- The Irish pub session (dating from post-war London!)
- On the bogus neologism craic
- sean-nós singing, old and new.
To whet your appetite, here’s an irresistible playlist:
See also under Indian and world fiddles. And while I’m here, may I remind you of the great Flann O’Brian (more under Myles tag), and various fine Irish jokes such as these.