Apart from the mainly-Chinese playlist in the sidebar (commentary here), below are some links to an eclectic selection of All-time Great Songs* on this blog. Besides the songs, the posts are worth reading too—Trust Me, I’m a Doctor.
- Fado das horas sung by a youthful Carminho
- Erbarme dich (see also Bach tag)
- You’re my thrill and other gems from Billie Holiday
- Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen and Der Abschied (see also Mahler tag)
- You must believe in spring
- Back to black
- When I am laid in earth
- Chet ballads, here and here
- A Swedish psalm
- Moon river, sung by Audrey Hepburn
- Two moving versions of Somewhere over the rainbow from Ariana Grande
- Eternal source of light divine
- The windmills of your mind
- Ravel, Shéhérazade (see also Ravel tag)
- I say a little prayer
- Buxtehude, Klaglied
- let me tell you sung by the amazing Barbara Hannigan (see also here)
*Of course, varied as this selection is (à la McClary; see also here, and here), it isn’t so eclectic as to include Albanian funeral laments, Sardinian tenores, flamenco deep song, Umm Kulthum, Indian singing, or Aboriginal dream songs… But I can’t resist including
- The ballad of the dictator, sung and played by Nicolae Neacșu.
For a similarly diverse playlist of trumpeters, see here (indeed, trumpet has its own tag); and for some feminist lists, here (with bonus tracks including Sheridan’s Smith’s amazing cover of Anyone who had a heart) and here.