After the latest screening of my film, perhaps it’s worth giving links to some of the major posts (so far!) on the Li family Daoists—even with the subheads in my category for them (film, on tour, rituals, updates, vignettes) it’s easy to get lost…
The basic material is
On ritual, see e.g.
Among the vignettes: for Yanggao, try
and a whole series of updates from March–April 2018 (see archives in the sidebar), led by
Other posts (reflecting material from my book) include
- this post on Li Qing and the sheng mouth-organ
- Li Qing’s sojourn in a state troupe
- Testing the waters, and
- Recopying ritual manuals.
On tour, you can start with
part of a whole series from May 2017, hotly followed by
- Li Bin’s diary on his return.
Also useful are articles on other characters in Yanggao, such as
- other Daoists
- a series on women: Daoist families; sectarians and mediums; and singers
- personalities: a sectarian, village elders, shawm players, a vagrant, and local worthies—not least
- unsung local hero Li Jin.
And there’s much, much more to explore if you use those subheads, and keep clicking away on the links within the posts…