Recent posts on Native American cultures—relevant to ritual and China—include
- Bruno Nettl with an introduction to themes in music, history, and change
- Ceremonies of the Navajo, based on McAllester’s classic Enemy way music
- The Ghost Dance of 1890—citing Bury my heart at Wounded Knee, and the 1900 Boxer uprising, including Buffalo Bill’s “Rescue at Pekin”
- Sun dance rituals.
This led me to Tony Hillerman’s fictional treatments of the Navajo:
My interest was initially prompted by the tragic story of
- Grassy Narrows: emerging from trauma.
- First Nations: trauma and soundscape
- An Indigenous peoples’ history of the United States
- under The reinvention of humanity, and
On a lighter yet trenchant note, see