I’ve found the last few weeks most fruitful—I hope you’re as stimulated as I am by this range of topics. Here’s a reminder of some recent posts.
Below I group them under themes, but in real time I also keep the reader [singular, eh? Mrs Ivy Trellis I presume—Ed.] guessing by purposefully alternating them, with frequent cross-links—the old “delighting in all manifestation of the Terpichorean muse“. Do click away:
- Archery festivals in Bhutan, introduced by a tongue-twister
- The c-word, starring Stewart Lee
- Enough already, with Coco Gauff and Naomi Osaka
On war, trauma, and memory:
- Soviet lives at war
- The first gulag (“With an Iron Fist, We Will Lead Humanity to Happiness”)
- The Kazakh famine
- The siege of Aleppo: For Sama
Not forgetting China:
- Religious life in 1930’s Fujian
- Ritual artisans in 1950s’ Beijing
- Temple murals: a new website
- Doing fieldwork in China
and more… Some of my favourites from the archive, both serious and jocular, are grouped here.