Dipping into the recent edition of the LRB, I described Alan Bennett and Patricia Lockwood as unlikely bedfellows. It’s a term that I’ve also used for
- John Betjeman and Jack Nicholson (fans of Chaplin’s A countess from Hong Kong)
- The Matthew Passion and Nina Hagen (reasons to learn German)
- In conducting: Boulez, Tennstedt, Rattle, Gardiner
- Klaus Tennstedt and Sophia Loren, Gary Kasparov and Elif Shafak (under Desert Island Discs)
- Moses and Marilyn Monroe (fellow stammerers)
- Reading Miles Davis’s autobiography in the voice of the Queen (“Listen with Motherfucker“).