As Stephen Cottrell observes, they may often be subsumed under what Merriam calls the musician’s “licence to depart from behavioural norms”.
Several stories go in pairs, like
- Berlioz drôleries (here and here)
- Gary Kettel classics (here and here)
- drumming (here and here)
- the touring life (Kangaroo, and LOOK!)
- The Mary Celeste (two stories in which I plead Not Guilty).
And there’s an indecent wealth of Matthew Passion stories, such as Mein Gott.
Spreading the net wider, for instances of deviant behaviour
- in Iberian folk traditions, see here and here;
- for jazz, e.g. Chet Baker, here and here
- Ladies and gentlemen, Lenny Bruce!!
Of course, it’s not only performers who may have license to depart from behavioural norms, as is clear from the career of Bumbling Boris.