I find that I’ve written quite a few jocular posts about language learning—here are some faves.
Most remarkably, how not to learn Japanese:
- two classic stories from Paul Kratochvil (here and here), as well as
- struggling with some arcane pinyin, and
- Changing language
- for swearing and Verlan, French slang
- gendered nouns
- A French letter, on the limited French vocabulary of the English
- Comment te dire adieu (with a side-dish of German and Italian).
- Some Portuguese epigrams
- Ogonek and Til
- Some Venetian greetings
- Some unlikely Turkish vocabulary
On the importance of placeholders in achieving fluency:
When watching a film in English, the strange compulsion to follow the subtitles in a foreign language that you barely know:
And here David Sedaris covers various languages, including Japanese and German: