There’s been some fine media coverage to commemorate the thirtieth anniversary of the fall of the Wall. So apart from my numerous posts under the Maoism tag, here’s a roundup of some of my posts on life, and death, behind the Iron Curtain—always bearing Chinese connections in mind.
On the GDR:
- Lives under the GDR (based on Timothy Garton Ash, The file)
- Life in the GDR, 2 (Stasi memorial sites)
- The successive escapes of my orchestral colleague Hildi, Parts 1 and 2.
On the USSR:
- Lives in Soviet Russia
- Blind minstrels of Ukraine
- Famine: Ukraine and China
- Between East and West
- Cheremis, Chuvash—and Tibetans
And for bitter jokes from behind the Iron Curtain:
See also various posts under the Czech tag, notably
All this complements posts on Nazism, such as